Current Job Openings
Position Description: Operations and Finance Manager
About the Organization:
The Center for Diversity & the Environment (CDE) grew out of the belief that everyone has a place in the environmental movement. Everything we do at CDE supports this vision of equity, diversity and inclusion. We build bridges between communities of color and the environmental community, fostering a fundamental revolution of the environmental movement—into an equitable, inclusive, and diverse coalition of people at work on a wide array of environmental issues. We believe that diversity strengthens and enriches our work and makes the environmental movement more relevant than ever. Alumni of our programs carry this work forward and out into their communities: they are the change agents and ambassadors of the changing face of environmentalism.
We envision a healthy, flourishing planet and society that sustainably and equitably meets the needs of all through an environmental movement that is diverse, inclusive, successful, vibrant and relevant, taking into account the needs, perspectives, and voices of all. The Center for Diversity & the Environment harnesses the power of racial and ethnic diversity to transform the US environmental movement by developing leaders, catalyzing change within institutions, and building alliances.
About the Position:
The Operations and Finance Manager (OFM) is responsible for the oversight and management of the operations and financial management for CDE. The OFM will work in all areas of operations and finance, developing and managing systems for developing operational systems for CDE, which include tracking organizational projects, finances, initiatives, programs, and metrics. The OFM role will focus on operational efficiency and continuous improvement and will work closely with the Director on the strategic management of the organization as a whole.
The specific duties of this position will evolve over time, but generally focus on developing and managing systems for tracking organizational projects, initiatives and programs, and assuring alignment with CDE mission, vision and business objectives.
The ideal candidate will have a commitment to environment, diversity and/or social justice issues and thrives in an innovative and entrepreneurial setting. The OFM will be detail-oriented while also understanding how their work fits into the broader vision and mission of CDE. The successful candidate will have skills in organizational management, finance, data management, communications, and technology.
Due to the breadth of activity, the successful candidate will be eager to learn and curious, willing to take on any challenges that come their way, and able to apply existing skills and aptitudes in unfamiliar areas. We do not expect you to come to this job with expertise in all of the areas described below, but we do expect adaptability, hard work, and general analytic ability that can be applied to new challenges.
Title: Operations and Finance Manager
Reports to: Director
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Salary: $50,000 annually
Benefits: 401k Match, Health Benefits, Vacation and Sick Leave
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Organizational Operations Management
- Manage the organization and logistics of all CDE trainings and workshops, including budget management, with oversight from the ED
- Develop automation in our systems to improve efficiency
- Develop, advance and manage the operational, technological and financial systems needed to support CDE’s strategic objectives. These systems include operations management structures, finance, accounting, grants/contracts management & reporting, information technology, human resources and accountability systems.
- Proactively coordinate and perform administrative support functions for CDE such as quarterly and annual financial reports, policies and procedures for documents, workflow, filing, ordering of supplies, records maintenance and other clerical services
- Support the organization’s strategic alliances and partnerships as appropriate.
- Update and evolve employee management practices including hiring, onboarding, off-boarding and performance evaluations
- Update and maintain CDE policy and procedure manual
- Manage operations related to volunteers, including but not limited to time tracking
- Office management
Finance, Accounting, and Grant Management
- Take ownership of all bookkeeping in Quickbooks Online, with oversight from the ED
- Ensure accounting functions are completed accurately and on time, including accounts payables, contribution/receivables, cash receipting and payroll
- Own month-end financial tasks, including budget vs. actual updates/projections, production of financial statements, monthly receivables statements, and ongoing analytical needs.
- Preparation of materials supporting third party audits, 990 form completion and fiscal reviews
- Grant expenditure tracking, reporting and grantor invoicing
- Maintain communication with grantors and address requests for fiscal, progress and monitoring reports; track reporting timelines for all grants
- Oversee employee benefits system including benefits selection and administration.
- Communicate with contractors and service providers – develop contract templates, request invoices, and track contract and deliverable completing with guidance from the Executive Director
- Run and present the financial projections to ED, and assist ED with strategic financial planning, as needed.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of finance and personnel practices for banking, cash management, internal controls, compensation and financial compliance. Ensure that CDE is in compliance with all tax laws and filings
Data, Processes, and Technology
- Review and reconciliation of credit card expenses and bank accounts
- Manage CDE systems and processes. In particular, the OFM will manage, improve, and analyze CDE’s data on participants and partners to continuously improve our program outcomes.
- This includes producing reports after each workshop, analyzing survey data, outcomes, and similar.
- The OFM will also be responsible for developing expertise in CRM system and related applications, consistently streamlining workflows for maximum efficiency.
- Maintain CRM and donor database and transactions for direct donations and online platform; provide regular donor reports to ED and Development Director
- In time, the OFM will be the primary administrator of Salesforce and should have a passion for capturing and using data in the best ways possible to improve operations.
Required Minimum Qualifications and Skills:
- Demonstrated experience with and/or commitment to working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds, in support of an inclusive and welcoming environment
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, nonprofit management, or related field, or five years of equivalent work experience
Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and as a strong independent contributor
- Three years of professional accounting, auditing and/or budget and financial management experience
- Demonstrated skill and experience in management of financial, human resources, information systems, management strategies, or business operations
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel, as well as the ability to work with multiple spreadsheets, filter data, use integrated functions, QuickBooks, and manipulate databases
- Understanding of nonprofit financial best practices, human resource best practices, nonprofit regulatory compliance and a solid understanding of office and information technology
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills; customer/client service experience
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- A self-starter and an analytic problem solver with demonstrated ability to see the big picture and anticipate what is needed in terms of well-integrated finance and grant administration
- Able to make operational decisions and elevate strategic decisions to ED
- Efficient, organized and detail-oriented with excellent professional skills, including work planning and time management
- Experience with donor management software
- Experience working in a start-up non-profit organization or business
- Fundraising experience
Email cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org and refer to “CDE Operations & Finance Manager” in the subject line.
Application deadline: June 4, 2018 by 8:00 a.m. PST.
Download the Position Description as a PDF.
CDE is committed to building a team of people of diverse ethnic, cultural, and experiential backgrounds.
Please share broadly with your networks or consider applying!