Current Job Openings
Position Description: Senior Program Associate
About the Organization:
The Center for Diversity & the Environment (CDE) grew out of the belief that everyone has a place in the environmental movement. Everything we do at CDE supports this vision of equity, diversity and inclusion. We build bridges between communities of color and the environmental community, fostering a fundamental revolution of the environmental movement—into an equitable, inclusive, and diverse coalition of people at work on a wide array of environmental issues. We believe that diversity strengthens and enriches our work and makes the environmental movement more relevant than ever. Alumni of our programs carry this work forward and out into their communities: they are the change agents and ambassadors of the changing face of environmentalism.
We envision a healthy, flourishing planet and society that sustainably and equitably meets the needs of all through an environmental movement that is diverse, inclusive, successful, vibrant and relevant, taking into account the needs, perspectives, and voices of all. The Center for Diversity & the Environment harnesses the power of racial and ethnic diversity to transform the US environmental movement by developing leaders, catalyzing change within institutions, and building alliances.
About the Position:
CDE is seeking an experienced Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Program Facilitator and Trainer to support the expansion and implementation of CDE’s programs aimed at creating a more diverse, equitable, inclusive, relevant and successful environmentalmovement. The Sr Program Associate will serve as the lead facilitator delivering CDE’s portfolio of programs some of which have an established curriculum while others
require customization. The position focuses on designing and delivering a variety of equity, diversity and inclusion activities and tools for CDE clients which include environmental organizations, agencies, and teams as well as leaders in the environmental and conservation movement. It combines knowledge of CDE mission / environmental movement, with best practices in equity, diversity and inclusion to develop, manage and deliver workshops, trainings, coaching to clients in helping them achieve their EDI goals. The position will facilitate the development of strategies to support client EDI goals.
We are seeking an amazingly talented individual to join our team as a Sr Program Associate. The ideal candidate will have a commitment to the environment, diversity and/or social justice issues and thrives in an innovative and entrepreneurial setting. The Senior Program Associate will have experience designing, facilitating and delivering equity, diversity and inclusion programs for organizations and individuals including: workshops/retreats, leadership coaching, multi-day courses, online courses and assessments. The successful candidate will have skills in organizational development, coaching, program strategy, community building, equity, diversity, and inclusion issues.
Title: Sr Program Associate
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: Begins at $85,000
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Benefits: Health, 401K, vacation, sick leave, holidays
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Will provide direct support to the Center for Diversity & the Environment’s clients
- The Sr Program Associate will deliver trainings, facilitate multiday retreats, provide coaching to clients, lead organizational change work, and deliver online trainings
- Deliver and facilitate organizational programming, such as CDE’s Equity Engagement & Strategy Session, Equity Audit, trainings, coaching, and consulting
- Design and implement high-impact Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) strategies by partnering with clients to develop effective strategies, tactics and tools for advancing their EDI goals.
- Facilitate CDE’s workshops and trainings for audiences of all levels, from individual contributors to executive teams.
- Provide advice and consultation to organizations regarding EDI and recommend avenues to increase awareness, support, and culture change to implementing EDI principles and practices/strategies.
- Manage and coach program team members assigned to support program delivery: capacity, reviewing work product, coaching, and delivering performance feedback.
- Be familiar with diversity, equity, and inclusion skills, concepts, and approaches, such as creating inclusive environments, emotional intelligence and diversity, working across difference, understanding power and privilege, etc.
- Communicate in a professional and effective manner both verbally and in writing using tact, discretion, and courtesy
- Represent the organization in a professional manner
- Provide subject matter expertise on EDI
Required Minimum Qualifications and Skills:
- Demonstrated experience to working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds, in support of an inclusive and welcoming environment.
- Experience leading, working and facilitating EDI programs and strategies with demonstrated success at driving positive change.
- Presentation and facilitation skills; comfortable presenting to larger groups and being able to think on your feet dealing with difficult questions.
- Interdisciplinary, creative thinker with experience leading and implementing equity and inclusion programs and change initiatives within an organization.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build strong relationships across a variety of stakeholders to ensure successful outcomes.
- Ability to facilitate productive dialogue within diverse communities and settings where topics of race, culture, privilege or other issues related to diversity and inclusion are discussed.
- Experience working in organizational development.
- Self-directed, organized and discreet with confidential and sensitive information.
- Work independently and on a team
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in nonprofit management, EDI or related field, or five years of equivalent work experience
- At least ten years of relevant experiences and at least five years of high-level program management.
- Demonstrated subject-matter expertise in EDI best practices.
Experience in program design, development, management and evaluation.
- Experience in organizational development
- Efficient, organized and detail-oriented with excellent professional skills, including work planning and time management.
- Experience coaching leaders (young and established)
- Knowledge of emerging best practices and trends in EDI programs.
- Strategic thinking
Location: CDE’s offices are in Portland, OR
We would consider other locations in the United States as we engage in work nationally.
Email cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org with Senior Program Associate in the subject line.
Application deadline: April 7, 2019 midnight (Pacific time zone)
Download the Position Description as a PDF.
CDE is committed to building a team of people of diverse ethnic, cultural, and experiential backgrounds.
Please share broadly with your networks or consider applying!